Burial Rites Tour
Burial Rites, an award-winning book by Hannah Kent will soon be on the big screen, where the Oscar winning actor Jennifer Lawrence will be the star of the show. Burial Rites is based on the story of Agnes Magnúsdóttir and her final days before being the last woman executed in Iceland. Experience the moving story and true sites behind the novel as well as raw Icelandic nature in this unique tour with an experienced local guide that knows the real story.
- Experience the real sites behind Hannah Kent’s award-winning book Burial Rites.
- Guided tour around Hvammstangi
- Guided tour of the highlights of Vatnsnes peninsula; Illugastaðir, Tjörn, Katadalur, Hvítserkur, Vatnsendi, Stóra-Borg, Kornsá and Þrístapar
- Guided tour around Reykir Regional Museum to see Agnes’ brooches
Pick-up and drop-off in Reykjavík or Hvammstangi
- Guided tour from an experienced local
- Guided tour around Reykir Regional Museum
The death of Natan Ketilsson is perhaps the most infamous criminal case in Icelandic history where he, and his guest Pétur Jónsson, were brutally murdered at his farm Illugastaðir in March 1828. Natan’s maidservant Agnes Magnúsdóttir and her accomplice Friðrik Sigurðsson were found guilty of the crime and beheaded on January 12th 1830 in Þrístapar.
It is genuinely a moving experience getting to know the story behind the woman, as well as the tragedy that led to the last execution in Iceland, and being able to visit the true sites where the events took place.
Illugastaðir where Natan and Pétur were murdered.
Book Your Tour
Pick up: between 8:00 – 8:30 AM in Reykjavik or 11:00 AM at Hvammstangi
Duration: 11 – 12 hours from Reykjavík, 7 -8 hours from Hvammstangi
Needs to be booked at least two days in advance.
Minimum participants: 2
Maximum of 14 participants.